January 2022 – Building Dreams
December 27, 2021 – Essex County Habitat for Humanity breaks ground on newest affordable homeownership project in Lawrence
September 23, 2021 – Two Families Move Into Habitat Homes
September 2, 2021 – Habitat for Humanity Renovating Home for Lynn Veteran
August 28, 2021 – Vietnam Veteran in Massachusetts Getting Full Home Renovation
August 24, 2021 – FRS Renews Partnership with Essex County Habitat
July 15, 2021 – Sumberg Honored for work with Habitat for Humanity
June 7, 2021 – The Women’s Fund of Essex County Offers Grants to Local Nonprofits
May 11, 2021 – Volunteers get to work for Women Build Days
April 19, 2021 – Essex Tech Students Partner with Habitat in Wenham
April 15, 2021 – Students help push Habitat homes to the finish line
November 14, 2020 – Building Relationships: Local Habitat for Humanity Groups Merge
November 12, 2020 – Habitat for Humanity Still Helping During Pandemic
August 11, 2020 – Five Families win Habitat for Humanity Homes in Salisbury
July 23, 2020 – Habitat for Humanity Back to Work
May 8, 2020 – Habitat Continues Building Houses in Salisbury – with Precautions
March 6, 2020 – Women Spend Week Building with Habitat
February 17, 2020 – Habitat plans Women Build Days in Salisbury, Andover
February 5, 2020 – First-Time homebuyers wanted in Salisbury
January 23, 2020 – Whittier Tech Carpentry Students Work on Habitat for Humanity Projects
December 12, 2019 – Habitat Seeks Prospective Homeowners in Salisbury
December 1, 2019 – MV Habitat Holds Volunteer Appreciation Dinner
October 7, 2019 – Panel to Discuss Need for Affordable Housing
October 4, 2019 – Merrimack Valley Habitat Sends Group to Romania for Big Build
September 22, 2019 – Building blocks of affordable housing
September 22, 2019 – Family makes Lawrence house their home
September 5, 2019 – Three join MV Habitat for Humanity Board
August 5, 2019 – Three Habitat homes in Salisbury, MA nearing completion
A primary goal of Essex County Habitat for Humanity is to increase the awareness and understanding of the role that our affiliate plays in creating affordable housing within the community, one home at a time. The local press is a great supporter of our efforts to help us expand our reach and communicate our mission.
Quick Facts About Essex County Habitat for Humanity
- Formed following a merger between Merrimack Valley Habitat for Humanity and Habitat for Humanity of the North Shore .
- Founded in 1985 as a non-profit, ecumenical-based organization.
- One of the more productive Habitat for Humanity affiliates in New England.
- Over 123 homes built and 42 homes rehabbed since 1985.
- 6 homes currently under construction and another 12 in the pipeline.
- The average home costs approximately $250,000 to build.
- Every Habitat family homeowner contributes “sweat equity” to their homes, building their homes and the homes of others.
- Habitat families purchase their homes for the out-of-pocket cost of construction with a low-interest mortgage.
- Habitat homeowners earn between 40% and 60% of the area median income – for a family of four, that means $44,700 – $83,888 annually (depending on home location).
- Habitat homes have a 30-year affordable mortgage.
As a member of the media, you can help us deliver on our mission by covering our projects, our events and helping us raise awareness of the real, local need for safe and affordable housing that is right here in Essex County.